Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Island of Capri

Some of you may have seen pictures of Italy in movies or on t.v., maybe in a magazine article about tourism.  Generally when you see Italy in such places, it is a lot of beaches and clear blue water and whitewashed buildings with terra-cotta roofs.  When I went to Rome and later the town of Naples, I thought that maybe this Italy did not exist. After all, the cities were kind of dirty and nowhere near the water.
And then I went to the Island of Capri.
Capri was like a tropical paradise! The island is only 4 miles long and 2 miles wide, rather small.  We took a boat tour around it and got to see all these amazing white cliffs.
There is a place there called the Blue Grotto.  A grotto is like an underwater cave.  You can take a row boat into the grotto, rowed by an Italian man who sings to you. The entrance to the grotto is so small that you have to lay down in the boat to get in, but once you're in...
The light shines in through the grotto opening and looks like it shines from underneath--like there was a lightbulb down there.  This is also a place where some jellyfish hibernate, hence all the jellyfish. Our sailor pulled one out of the water!
We rode a chairlift up the mountain on the island and got an amazing view.  The water here was bluer than anything I have ever seen--bluer than the sky even.
I don't think I can really say anything else about Capri. I'll let the pictures talk for themselves--after all, a picture is worth a thousand words!

No comments:

Post a Comment