There is one thing you need to know about England: even though we speak the language, there are some BIG differences between America and England. For example, think about your favorite foods. Pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers...I'm guessing these are some things that may have popped into your minds, right? Well, my friends and I went into a little convenience store the other day, and this is what we saw.
| |
|
| Yes, that is a can of hamburgers! |
I couldn't believe it! Who would buy hamburgers in a can? I just think that sounds gross! And then I looked one shelf up...
 |
| Can you even imagine??? |
HOT DOGS IN A CAN!!!!! I love hot dogs, and I am pretty sure that if I ate one of these, I would never eat hot dogs again. The thing about putting things in a can is that they can just sit there...and sit...and sit until someone buys them! This is not the case with Oscar Mayer or Ball Park hot dogs, which are refrigerated.
Then we looked at the potato chip aisle. Here in England, they call potato chips "potato
crisps", and you can buy Doritos or Walkers (which look just like Lays). But then we found this bag of chips.
 |
| Miss Prather shows off the Frazzles |
Frazzles are
bacon flavored potato chips which are also shaped like bacon! We didn't buy them, but we were tempted.
Now I told you that they call potato chips
crisps. But they do have chips here in England--what we call french fries. One thing they eat a lot of is "fish and chips", which is a piece of fried fish with fries. That was my lunch for the day and it was
yummy!
So over here, chips are fries, and crisps are chips. Confused yet? I still am a little--I get them confused. But here is something even more interesting (and delicious!). Over here, they have something called "digestive biscuits." When I first heard about them, I thought it was something you ate when your stomach didn't feel good. Boy, was I wrong!
 |
| Cookies! | |
In England, cookies are called
biscuits. There you have it! American food is much better than English food, no contest. And I guess even though we speak the same language, sometimes we don't (calling fries
chips? That is just plain confusing!)
No comments:
Post a Comment